Master of Renewable Energy & Sustainability
- اهداف التخصص Objectives
- المخرجات Outcomes
- مجالات العمل للخريجين Work fields for graduates
- الخطة الاكاديمية Academic plan
Joint master of Mediterranean initiatives on renewable and sustainable energy (JAMILA) is a joint project between 8 universities, 3 from European countries & 5 from Mediterranean countries with financial support of European Union (EU) under the umbrella of TEMPUS projects.
This project aims at establishing joint master program (curricula reform) in Renewable Energy and Sustainability (MRES) that should serve the market needs of these courtiers to effective utilizing the renewable energy resources and to help support the sustainability of these sources and local environment.
Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Palestine Polytechnic University, Al-Quds University ; Northumbria University, UK; University of Cadiz, Spain; Alexandria University; Ain Shams University,
Arab Academy, Egypt .
Master of Science in Renewable Energy & Sustainability .
MSc in Renewable Energy and Sustainability (MRES) .
Regular program duration is 2 years.
Required Credit Hours
A student is required to pass at least 36 credit hours.
The program has two streams and the students can enroll in only one of them, as follows:
A thesis oriented stream: Includes 10 courses (30 credit hours) and a thesis
(6 credit hours). Students are encourages to choose master thesis stream.
- A comprehensive exam oriented stream: Includes 12 courses (36 credit hours).
Students must successfully complete the 36 credit hours. Students who decide for the thesis-based stream must successfully submit a research oriented thesis. Students who decide for the comprehensive exam-based option must pass a comprehensive exam. After finishing 2 additional courses with 3 credit hours each.
Procedure for completing the Master Thesis
- The master thesis should be equivalent to 6 credit hours.
- Master thesis topic should be agreed upon by a committee selected from the staff.
- The student should prepare a proposal for the subject matter of his/her research thesis under the supervision of an advisor/s.
- The advisors and the committee monitor the progress of the student in his research and finally the student defends his thesis.
Scope of the Master Thesis
- Energy sources creation and development
- Energy sources integrations
- Energy management & optimization
- Energy system design and control
- Energy policies and regulations
- Smart energy systems
- Another related filed.
- Students having at least good cumulative record from engineering background such as electrical, mechanical, architectural, chemical, Environmental programs, etc.
- Students having outstanding cumulative record from non-engineering background such as mathematics, physics, electronics, etc.
Qualifications for Admission
Maximum of 16-20 students will be accepted each year on a competitive basis.
Qualified student should:
a) Have a Bachelor degree from a recognized university in one of the following fields:
- Electrical engineering ( all fields)
- Mechanical engineering ( all fields)
- Architectural & Civil engineering
- Computer Engineering & related to the Computer fields
- Environmental engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Non-engineering fields such as Mathematics , Physics ,etc. with outstanding records.
- Or any equivalent certificate
b) Have GPA average of (70 on 100 scale) or better (good).
c) Students with qualification outside electrical and mechanical engineering may be requested to take remedial courses. The program committee defines that case by case.
d) Should pass the English Proficiency exam or obtain a TOEFL score of 500 or its equivalent.
- To train high quality professionals in the field of renewable and sustainable energy technologies, coming from different first degree backgrounds such as engineering, architecture, economics, sciences and environment;
- To contribute to answer the labor market demand of high level professionals in renewable energies and their sustainability;
- To improve the employability of graduates of this M.Sc. Course at the national and the international level;
- To improve the mobility of students of PPU and AQU through short educational visits to EU universities;
- To offer a joint M.Sc. Program based on local market needs with a solid research aspect and problem based learning;
- To strengthening the collaboration between local universities in running this program in form of staff exchange and conducting joint research tasks mainly between PPU & AQU.
The following are the Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) of the program:
- A graduate-level understanding of basic disciplinary concepts as well as identifying the different aspects of renewable energies with regard to management and finance.
- Designing, developing and implementing renewable energy systems belonging to a diverse range of energy resources such as solar, thermal, electrical, wind, tidal, wave, hydroelectricity, geothermal, biomass and waste technology, hydrogen, bio-processing and bio-based materials.
- Identifying, analyzing and solving technical problems of renewable energies related to computer engineering, for example, computational techniques and system modeling, knowledge-based systems and artificial intelligence, computer simulations for engineering design.
- Having a minimum computer programming knowledge, understanding and skills to solve practical engineering problems related to renewable energies.
- Applying mathematical techniques to model and solve engineering, business, and finance problems related to renewable energies.
- Appreciating and identifying all kind of issues of renewable energies related to product design, management and finance, as well as generating and evaluating design management and finance solutions to solve a specific problem.
Taking into account the importance of development of renewable energy sector, the graduated from this program student should have the following career character:
- Follow-up on academic achievement and pursue a PhD degree in renewable energy and power engineering or related fields,
- Engineering offices and contracting companies dealing with conventional power and renewable energy sources..,
- Companies for generation and distribution of electric power,
- Design, analysis and construction of smart grid systems in electricity distribution companies,
- The Palestinian Energy and Natural Resources Authority, and others,
- Housing and urban cities projects,
- Factories and related companies,
- Non-governmental and international organizations,
- The academic field in the industrial and vocational schools,
- Academic and educational fields,
- Research centers in the fields of power, renewable energy and control.
- Material Sciences & related chemicals in the field of RE
- Start up their own business ( spin of companies..).