Master’s Program in Architecture – Sustainable Design
- اهداف التخصص Objectives
- المخرجات Outcomes
- مجالات العمل للخريجين Career Opportunities for Graduates
- الخطة الاكاديمية Academic Plan
Realizing the environmental, economic, and social problems due to improper practice in creating the built-up environment leads to a serious thinking to establish a program in sustainable architecture. Practice of architecture without taking into consideration the concept of sustainability inflicts long-lasting impact on the environment and citizen’s (Palestinians) comfort. The master program plays an important role in an increasing the interest of sustainable architecture field.
The world Commission on Environment and Development has put a definition of “sustainability” as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. — From Our Common Future (London: Oxford University Press, 1987). Sustainable development as a concept, as a goal, and as a movement spread rapidly and is now central to the mission of international organizations, and corporate enterprises.
Given the increased need for sustainable development worldwide and the need in local environment, developing a master program have become imperative task for Palestine Polytechnic University. The proposed program bridges the gap between the theory of sustainability -which is now enshrined on the masthead of many environmental and spatial magazines- and practice, leading to build research platform in Palestine to develop this concept and its interrelations with spatial issues in terms of theory and practice.
The proposed program by Palestine Polytechnic University is in harmony with the strategic vision of the university which actively seeks to provide high quality academic programs and research. The university offers all necessary infrastructure such as library equipped with references and books, workshops, computer labs, and laborites. All mentioned facilities are devoted for the proposed program which will enable students to do both practical projects and researches that offer solutions and concepts to achieve the harmony between climate, architecture, and people.
This program is characterized by its focus on interrelation between sustainability and spatial issues and green technology. Students with background of architecture and civil engineering are allowed to attend the program. There will be an international cooperation with one European university (Palermo University) by exchange of lecturers and researchers, organizing lectures using the technology of video conferencing, holding seminars in Palestine Polytechnic University, and through participating in the supervision of thesis. There will be a possibility for faculty members in the European partners to participate in teaching some of the program courses, as well as participating in the supervision of theses according to their specialty.
Academic staff & International cooperation
The program depends mainly on teaching staff and the effective full equipment of Palestine Polytechnic University, where the teaching staff of the department of architecture includes a number of assistant professors, associate professors, full professors, and PhD candidates at several international universities who are completing their PhD degrees in the same discipline, to strengthen the academic and scientific infrastructure in the department of architecture. In addition to the cooperation with professors at the civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering departments at the university. Furthermore, there are prospects of joint cooperation between the Department of Architecture at Palestine Polytechnic University and other departments at international universities, such as the University of Palermo in Italy, where there will be a significant active role for the professors from those universities by doing workshops and having exchange students within this program.
The Program’s credit hours
To be awarded the Master's degree in sustainable architecture, the student has to pass 36 credits, divided into mandatory courses, elective courses, and the master’s thesis.
- Preparing high quality designers and researchers in sustainable architecture by providing students with essential knowledge and skills in issues of sustainable architecture; renewable energy, passive design, etc.
- Teaching students to apply the measures to design high-quality, cost effective spaces that contributes towards achieving sustainable built environment.
- Cultivating the interest not only in developing the technical design skills but also it is to deepen the responsibility regarding the built environment to take the holistic concepts of sustainability; environment, economy, and culture.
- Creating an atmosphere in which students can be creative in designing and developing pioneer concepts which –of course- will participate in developing local market. The atmosphere of creativity is enhanced by holding seminars by international experts and international cooperation.
- To instill the ability to think critically towards the built up environment based on concepts of sustainability, in addition to developing the research and writing skills in International journals. The program gives students a unique opportunity to undertake researches. There is a library with sufficient resources and computer labs provided with necessary computer programs.
- Preparing engineers to use methods and effective solutions for existing sick buildings where occupants suffer from uncomfortable in door environment.
- Contributing to the local market with skilled and professional engineers specialized in the area of sustainable built environment design, passive and active technologies and techniques, designing built environment to be efficient in operation and comfort of using.
- Thorough and expanded knowledge and understanding of the principles of theoretical, applied sciences, and advances in sustainable architecture to be utilized in the design and analysis of engineering and construction projects.
- Understand the appropriate methods in finding solutions to typical construction project problems within specific engineering and economic frameworks
- Planning, designing, operating, managing the most important for construction projects in line with the forecast of future needs, and addressing the health and environmental impacts.
- Designing and analyzing sustainable building projects systems.
- Using simulation software packages in all stages of building project starting with site analysis, conceptual design, management the resources, planning and up keeping the system efficiency.
- Analysis, criticism, and preparation of technical reports and conducting scientific research in the areas of advances in sustainable architectural aspects,
- Commitment to professional and research ethics and responsibility in the professional life.
- Communicate effectively.
- Leadership, good administration and ability to deal with risk and risk management.
- Academic institutions
- Engineering offices
- Engineering Firms
- Ministries & municipalities
- Environmental Architecture Projects
- Environmental assessment firms
- Sustainable Planning departments